Monday, August 7, 2017

When You Need Mental Help




















I don't dismiss psychiatrist or psychologist, but they don't always know
how it feels to be going through what you're going through.

When I was a child I was mean and unhappy, so my parents took me to
therapists. My father said that when I talked to therapists I told them what
they wanted to hear, and when we'd get home I'd go right back to being the
same way. I only remember one therapist...As I sat across from this guy, he
tossed a thick hardback book down on the table in front of me and yelled,
"You need to read this!" I don't know what book it was, but I think he was in
need of some therapy too.

My low self-esteem was making me crazy. I think if I would've had someone
to talk to who had recovered from low self-esteem, that person could've given
me some advice on how to like myself and how to be happy.

I think sometimes you need to speak with someone who knows how it feels
to be in your situation. If you've been abused, talk to a therapist who was
abused, and improved their life in spite of the abuse. If you have a drug
problem, talk to an advisor who was once on drugs, but now has a sober and
healthy life. If you're being bullied, find someone who was bullied who was
able to lift their self-esteem...But if you can't find someone to talk to who 
has had your unique issue you need to talk to someone who will listen to 
you who has a kind heart. Talking to anyone is better than talking to no 
one.




No comments:

Post a Comment