Monday, January 5, 2015

Pay Phones

















I was at a hotel and I saw this pitiful wall. I could easily imagine people
standing there using the pay phones that used to be there. I started using
pay phones when I was about 10 and it cost 25 cents per call. Once, I
called Best Western on a pay phone just for the fun of it, because it was
a toll-free call. They had such a catchy jingle I had memorized the phone
number. When I got a little older, the cost of a call was 50 cents.

I don't remember the last time I used a pay phone, but I have fond mem-
ories of them. You knew you were using a good pay phone when you
could get inside a phone booth and the phone booth was clean, you could
close the door, and there was a phone book inside too. Oh yeah...then you
were set. But, if the door didn't close, the phone booth was dirty, and there
was no phone book, you might want to get out of that neighborhood.

There aren't many pay phones around anymore, but more than likely you
wouldn't need one. I'm sure there would be at least 10 people around that
would let you use their cell phone for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment